Wheel & Tire Buying Tips
At 106 St. Tire & Wheel, we know that driving around the streets of Queens, NY can be pretty tough on tires and wheels. We also know that many drivers want to dress up their rides a little and personalize them with custom tires and wheels, so here are a few tips for buying tires and wheels in Queens, NY:
- When shopping for wheels (<=see some of famous make wheels), make sure that your new wheels will be load-rated to your vehicle. Find the information placard on your vehicle (usually located on the door frame of the driver’s door, or inside the glove box) and find the Gross Axle Weight Rating of the heaviest axle on the vehicle. Your wheel load rating is based on 50 percent of the heaviest GAWR of the vehicle.
- If you’re planning on oversize wheels and tires, be mindful of outside fender clearance, inside fender well clearance and suspension and steering specs, including the number of turns your steering wheel needs from lock-to-lock. You don’t want tires rubbing on your fender wells!
- Bolt patterns can vary greatly from one make and model to the next, and sometimes even from one year to the next. Make certain you’re buying wheels with the right bolt pattern to match your vehicle!
- Your lug nuts and studs do not need to be lubricated; it can only encourage them to loosen over time. In addition, when installing new wheels, re-torque your lug nuts after the first 50 miles of driving.
- If you’re considering taller rims and low-profile tires, be aware that they will throw off your speedometer/odometer readings, sometimes drastically. Also, be ready for changes in your vehicle’s handling and ride properties.
- Heavier wheels and tires mean more “unsprung weight,” which refers to the weight not supported by the car’s suspension. Your vehicle was engineered for a set amount of unsprung weight, and increasing that weight can mean premature wear on wheel bearings and suspension/steering components.
At 106 St. Tire & Wheel, we’re happy to be the top shops for wheels and tires in Queens, NY. If you’re thinking it’s time to upgrade, or if you just want to replace your worn wheels and tires with OEM, give us a call and make an appointment. Call our main store at 106-01 Northern Blvd Queens, NY 11368 open holidays 24 hours every single day; closed only Christmas. We’ll be happy to help you out! Call us 718-446-6769 or write us at email@example.com