Simple Maintenance List Made Even Simpler
Simple maintenance check list:
FAQ about maintenance made Real Simple: No maintenance=expensive problems
1. Check your tire pressure...simpler, have 106 St Tire do it FREE.
More than 90 percent of cars on the road are driven every day with improperly inflated tires with most being under-inflated. Results?
- can compromise cornering
- can compromise braking
- can compromise stability and safety
- more likely to have a tire-related accident because of the above like tire failure (thousands happen every year and cause deaths which are avoidable!)
- MPG? HA! Shot to hell
- Tire life? Lower your expectations away from what manufacture says
- under-inflated tires overheat & could lead to catastrophic failure
2. Check the oil -a no-brainer; check it every time you fill up! Simpler, 106 St Tire will do it FREE!
Where has all your oil gone?
- burning oil
- leaking oil.
Frequently replacing oil? Your leaking or burning oil and you're risking major engine damage.
3. Change the oil and filter regularly-simpler, come on into 106 St Tire, oil changes are $25 (most cars) and include free tire rotation and oil filter replacement! Why price differences? We're asked this all the time! Common sense please? An SUV engine requires more oil than a Nano engine does!
- clean oil extends the life of your vehicle
- seasons effect what type of oil you may want to use
- on newer cars electronic nag replaces your wife....LISTEN TO IT!
- don't skip on cheap oil and cheap oil filter; not the place to do that
- don't do the above on coolant either (this wears out too!)
4. Replace brake pads when necessary-Free brake inspection at all 106 St Tire shops!
- brake squeals, not a good thing, brake squawks, not a good thing
- ignore the above get ready to replace rotors adding cost to simple brake job
- hauling loads? brakes wear out sooner; why? use brakes more to stop the weight
- stop-and-go driving in NYC and Long Island? Extra wear on brakes! What's worse than not starting? NOT STOPPING!!!!
5. Use the right tires for the season-simple, come on into 106 St Tire & we will tell you the best tire for your particular car, the difference in winter vs all season tires, etc, It is very important~
- winter tires made of different material meant to push snow away from treads and not react to cold road temperatures, rougher ride
- don't use winter tires in summer, short life span with wear out very quick
- your ride suffers while using winter tires in summer and premature wear out is a fact
6. Check the lights-SIMPLE, come on into 106 St Tire and get a 47 point safety inspection: FREE!
walk around your vehicle often and check this out (put your lights on first of course)
- headlights on?
- parking lights on?
- back up lights working? (back up on towards a wall & see if the lights are on)
- tail lights?
- signal lights?
- emergency flashers working?
- fog lights working?
- running lights working?
sound like too much work, all 106 St Tire locations will do this free, 106 St Tire & Wheel locations, 106-01 Northern Blvd open 24 hours, 105-08 Northern Blvd open 24 hours, 118-02 Merrick Blvd open 7 days, 79-20 Queens Blvd open 7 days, 45-13 108 St open 7 days, call us 718-446-6769
7. Replace worn-out wiper blades - 106 St Tire does this too!
Windshield wipers need regular inspection, WHY?
- rubber (no matter the blend or brand) deteriorates over time due to sunlight, cold, air pollution, etc.
- deterioration begins depending on how much you drive and weather conditions
- wiper blades lose the ability to flex and flip over
- wipers crack
- normal use simply wears down the blade
- the sharp edge of blade is effect in keeping windshield clear
- blades are supposed to make full contact with your windshield
- only one fix to wiper blade repair: replace the blades.
8. Repair windshield cracks - an invitation for NYPD to hand you a lovely greeting and related fine in addition to having a very dangerous condition, hence NYPD's interest in your vehicle!
- little cracks become bigger cracks
- visibility can be impaired
- car owners ignore chips in glass; this small chip can spread into a nasty crack particularly in cold weather.
- new techniques put resin into small CHIPS so it does not spread to a crack
- windshield cracked? REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD!
- very high density, which causes cracks to widen progressively. That means the trouble